Liz Benton

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Post 1

My boyfriend is in the Colorado Army National Guard and has been since he was 17, before we started dating. We have been together for almost a year now and he means the world to me; which is why it is very important for me to know what is going on in the world, especially when it concerns the military and their involvement in the war. He is currently in training so it is hard for him to get news and stay up-to-date with all of the news surrounding the war. He is told what the military is willing to tell him so he appreciates being informed about all of the issues. In order to keep both my boyfriend and myself informed I frequently visit the website for The New York Times.

The first thing that you see when you go to the website for The New York Times is the title in big, bold words at the top of the page as well as navigational tabs that will take you to specific sections of the website. After reading the title of the website, the website viewer’s eye is caught by the big picture below it in the center of the page that is linked to an important article in that specific issue of the paper. The picture is used to get more reader’s attention and get more people to read it. In addition to the picture in the center of the page, there are article titles in big, bold print with a one or two sentence excerpts from the article that are meant to catch the reader’s attention and get them interested in the article so they will click on the title to read to full-length article.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a large picture that happens to be a paused video clip. Below the paused clip are the different options for what video news headline you would like to watch, there is one for almost every section of the paper; politics, dining, style, etc. The reader can pick and choose which video headline they would like the view by simply clicking on the thumbnail of it. Below the video clips there are the top headlines from the week and around the world for reader’s to click on and read if they are interested in the article. As well as the video clips and bolded titles with excerpts, there are sections running down the left side of the page that the viewer can select, allowing them to navigate through that section of the paper.

The website for The New York Times differs from the print version of it because it is more interactive for the reader. The reader can view video clips of today’s most important headlines, view the most popular articles, or even look at past articles in comparison to more recent ones, among many other ways for viewing information. This is the website that I used to stay up-to-date with the news that is important to both me and my boyfriend, it is easy to navigate and find the information that I want.

4 Comments:

At January 28, 2007 at 9:56 PM , Blogger Nga Le said...

Hello Liz, I'm sorry to hear about how though things can get with your relationship. You are a very strong person for standing by his side and putting up with long distance relationship. I can see why you choose to write a blog about The New York Times. Looking at that site,the first thing that caught my eyes were the picture right in the top center. I believe it's a picture of a man getting arrested or sort. But because that picture caught my attention and led me to become curious, I felt a sudden urge to read everything on there. It's amazing how much stuff is going on out there that I don't know about. Your description of the website is very accurate and nicely written. Good Job!

 
At January 28, 2007 at 11:34 PM , Blogger Genevieve Marquez said...

Liz, I felt that by reading your blog, it gave me a better understanding of who you are. Not many people would write about the New York Times. For the majority of the pieces I've read many people have written about google, or Myspace but, nothing like yours.I was also very draw to the picture of the person getting arrested. It was nice to see that you put some sort of visual into your piece.Like Nga, it made me want to finish what you had to say. I look foward to reading more of your blogs.

 
At January 29, 2007 at 12:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was drawn to your blog because I know what it feels like to have a boyfriend. But I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to have him fighting in a war! It's hard enough to be 100 miles away from each other. Your a strong girl! I hope everything turns out alright.

 
At January 29, 2007 at 1:01 AM , Blogger Chelsea said...

I can sympathize with you because my boyfriend is overseas right now on an aircraft carrier, and trying to get current news from him about what is going on over there is harder than pulling teeth. I constantly want to be updated on what the situation is and if I need to worry, not that I don’t anyways. It is nice to at least know what they are going into if they ever have to and to know what to expect in terms of violence. News websites are better than actually watching the news and waiting for the one part you want to hear about. At least you can search for the news on the war and find exactly what you want right away. Hang in there, it gets better, I promise.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home