Liz Benton

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Post 7

The lonely grove of Aspen trees, a fine black and white photograph by Ansel Adams. Based on the other trees in the photograph, it is possible that the photograph was taken in fall because there are no obvious leaves on any of the trees in the photograph and it looks as if there are leaves coating the ground surrounding the grove of Aspens. The photograph does not provide enough scenery, or any other clues, to suggest where it was taken. It is possible that the photograph was taken in Colorado seeing as Ansel Adams is well known for his photographs of western landscape. The three aspen trees that are in the front look the biggest and are the clearest to see because of the black and white photograph and the shading that it automatically has. It looks as if it is possible that the photograph of the aspen grove was taken during the day because there is a hint on light on the upper left side of the prominent aspen trees that can been noticed even though it is a black and white photograph. The background in the photograph seems to blend together a lot because of the shadows and the fact that it is darker in the background and if there was a flash on Ansel Adams’s camera, it was unable to reach that far into the darkness. This effect makes the few Aspen trees that are easily seen stand out more than they would had the picture been taken in color or in brighter light than it was.

2 Comments:

At February 25, 2007 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Chelsea said...

What an amazing photograph, black and white photos are my absolute favorite type of art, and I collect them. I love that you knew a lot about the photographer and incorporated that into your caption. I seriously cannot get over this photo, I love the shading and the Aspens in the foreground are so beautiful. It conveys a sense of loneliness that is almost haunting. Your post was a great analysis of the of the photographer’s techniques, and you wrote it very well. You did an amazing job picking a picture, and with writing this caption.

 
At February 26, 2007 at 12:08 AM , Blogger annaters said...

I love the picture you chose, I'm a huge fan of black and white art, I'm also a fan of Ansel Adams, I used him as my photographer for my photograohy project in high school. The picture almost makes me lonely, it is a little bit sad, but amazing none the less.

I do not know if you knew alot about Ansel Adams before or if you just did some research but I though that it was nice to have a bit of a location to go along with the picture. Although, if you didn't already know the information before hand we weren't really supposed to any research.

Great image, excellent post, nice job Liz!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home